If you are like me then you want to give your dog good meals that will keep him at optimal health.
Well, allow me to introduce you to the lamb meal, a type of dog food that has the potential of meeting all your pet’s nutritional needs.
As you read on, you will learn everything there is to know about lamb meal: what makes it up, how to serve it, and more.
Let’s pup in already!
What Is A Lamb Meal?
It refers to dried and ground lamb tissues like the internal organs, skeletal muscle, and some bone.
It should not be confused for lamb, which is simply the muscle tissue of a young sheep.
Both can be served alone or used as an ingredient for dog food.
So, while the lamb is the raw meat, the lamb meal has been processed, precipitated, and repackaged.
Due to this processing, this meal becomes an excellent source of protein, fat, calcium, and other essential nutrients.
What more could your dog ask for, huh?
We’ll now look at the reasons why this meal is good for your dog.
Is Lamb Meal Good For Your Dog?
I strongly recommend this meal for your dog food and below are my reasons why:
1. It is a good source of protein: And your dog needs protein to stay healthy.
Protein helps repair broken tissues and boosts the immune system. It also contributes to the creation of hormones and antibodies.
READ ALSO: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Adult Chicken & Rice Recipe [Review]
By feeding your dog this meal, you’d be meeting his nutritional needs a great deal.
2. It provides the right amount of fats: Fatty-acids which are the end product of fats aid in the digestion and utilization of food. Dietary fat supplied by lamb also provides your dog with the required body heat and energy.
3. It is a good option for dogs with food allergies: Because many dogs are not often exposed to lamb meal, it is rare for them to develop allergies around it.
Also, dogs who have food allergies with common protein sources like chicken and beef have been found to do well after they are introduced to lamb meal.
If you notice any signs of food allergies in your dog like a skin rash, itchiness, irritability, gas, diarrhoea, vomiting, and bad breath then it may be time to opt for a lamb meal.
PS: Obtain the consent of your vet before switching to this meal if your dog exhibits any signs of food intolerance.
4. It has a superb taste: It has a taste that your dog cannot resist. Many pups all over the world enjoy a well-prepared lamb meal. There’s no doubt that yours would too even if he’s a picky eater.
Next, I’ll show you when the this meal is the right food for your pet.
When Is The Right Time To Give My Dog A Lamb Meal?
There are moments when a lamb meal becomes a good option for your dog. They include:
- When your dog is having food allergies and he has never had a lamb meal before.
Lamb meal will be the perfect substitute for dairy, soy, chicken, beef, etc.
Pro tip: if indeed your dog is having allergies, speak with your vet as there may be other causative factors aside from food like age, weight, breed, and energy level.
READ ALSO: Milk-Bone Original Large Biscuit Dog Treats Reviews
- Another good time to give your dog a lamb meal is when he is rejecting every other food.
As mentioned, the taste of lamb meal is irresistible, the aroma is compelling as well. Therefore, the chances that your pet will reject lamb dog food are slim.
However, you have to rule out other factors that may be responsible for your dog’s low enthusiasm around food like tooth pain, illness, etc.
Also, a wet lamb dog food will be more appealing than the dry version.
- Lastly, you may feel that it is about time your pup had a change of diet. Or, you are among those folks that prefer to rotate their pet’s food periodically.
Lamb meal makes an excellent addition to your dog’s menu in times like this.
And rotating your dog’s food is a good way to prevent nutritional imbalances. Keep it up!
Moving on, we’ll look at how you can serve this meal.
How To Serve It
There are two ways to go about this:
- Opt for high-quality dog foods that have lamb meal listed as the top ingredient. Or,
- Purchase this meat from the pet store and prepare the meal for your pet
READ ALSO: Stewart Pro-Treat Beef Liver Freeze- Dried Raw Dog Treats Review
Follow these steps to get it done
- Boil the lamb meat in a pot for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain in a colander to get rid of any water and excess fat.
- Serve when cool.
- You can add some boiled rice to improve flavour and content.
If you prefer the first option of buying the lamb meal dog food, check out the next section for a guide.
What To Look Out For When Buying This Meal?
- Lamb or lamb meal is listed as the first ingredient – the prominent ingredient in a food is usually listed first.
- Omega fatty acids should also be listed – your dog needs them to stay healthy and maintain a shiny coat.
- Check for antioxidants as well – these improve your pet’s health by removing free radicals. They also help prevent some forms of cancer.
- The less the number of natural preservatives, the better. A long list of chemicals you can’t recognize may be a red flag.
- Lastly, dog foods produced in the United States, Canada, Western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand are relatively safe options since these nations enforce strict food-safety guidelines.
Moreover, you want to ensure that the food you are going for is the right formula for your dog’s age and activity level. Confirm from your vet when you are uncertain.
In the next section, you will find a carefully selected list of lamb meal dog foods.
Check it out!
Top 10 Lamb Meal Dog Foods
These dog foods are from trusted manufacturers. They contain lamb meal and or lamb as top ingredients.
If you are looking to add this meal to your dog’s diet, this is a good place to start:
- Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food
- Nature’s Logic Canine Lamb Meal Feast All Life Stages Dry Dog Food
- Zignature Grain Free Lamb Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small Paws Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Lamb & Brown Rice
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Natural Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Limited Ingredient Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Diamond Naturals Lamb Dog Food
- Purina Beneful Prepared Meals Savory Rice & Lamb Stew with Peas & Carrots Wet Dog Food
- Natural Balance Lamb and Brown Rice Formula
- SPORTMiX Wholesomes with Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
Find more here.
READ ALSO: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Adult Chicken Dry Dog Food Review
Pro Tip: if you are feeding your dog with this meal for the first time, introduce it in little amounts with old meals until you can serve it wholly. This will help your pet transit successfully.
It is an excellent addition to your dog’s diet as it provides him with the needed ingredients to maintain optimal health.
This is where we’ll draw the drapes on our discussion on lamb meal. I hope you enjoyed the read.
Tell me in the comments section if you will include lamb meal in your dog’s menu. Also, feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Before you go, please share this post with other dog owners on your list. Thank you!